Matfer Bourgeat USA History
1814 -1899 : TROTTIER
June 1814 : Charles TROTTIER, a copper and tinsmith, founded his own company, TROTTIER. It had a 60m2 shop in Rue Saint-Honoré in the central market district of Paris, Les Halles. The company was specialized in making pastry moulds. Thanks to Charles TROTTIER’s reliability and creative skills,the workshop grew rapidly.
1835 : TROTTIER published its first catalogue containing forty or so pages presenting the company’s main products. It was rare, at that time, for a craftman to have such a keen business sense and this helped him gain a solid reputation throughout France.
Around 1850, the reputation of French "pâtisserie" has spread far and wide. French pastrycooks were very much in demand and did not hesitate to go and work abroad. Once there, they wanted to use the equipment that they were used to, and so TROTTIER began to export its goods throughout EUROPE.
1862 : Charles TROTTIER passed on the company to his son, who published a new edition of the TROTTIER catalogue with the words "by appointment to the Court of Russia" on the cover.
1899-1921 : DELAVERNE
1899 : Charles TROTTIER , son of the founder, sold the business to his chief assistant, Alphonse DELAVERNE, aged 45 at the time, who had already worked in the company for 25 years. Alphonse DELAVERNE published 3 catalogues between 1899 and 1908, the last containing over 100 pages. He adopted a stricter layout, "lightening" the presentation. Copper was gradually replaced by tin.
1908 : Gaspard MORA joined DELAVERNE. In 1921 Alponse DELAVERNE, was 71 and decided to retire and sell his business to his employee, Gaspard MORA. He knew that he was leaving it in good hands.
1921-2002 : MORA
1921 : The company, managed by Gaspard MORA, was still in the heart of Les Halles in Paris, at 13, rue Montmartre.
1928 : A 1200 square feet workshop was set up in Les Lilas, in the suburbs of Paris. Il was extended to 3500 square feet in 1934.
1947 : The company is split into two poles :
MATFER, created in Les Lilas, grouping manufacturing and trade distribution, the MORA shop for retail sales.
1949 : Death of Gaspard MORA. His son, Robert took over the business.
1967 : Creation of a new factory in Longny au Perche, in Normandy.
1970 : Whishing to devote all his time to MORA shop, Robert MORA stepped down as Charman of MATFER, handing over to his son Philippe.
Openings of subsidiaries ( 1980 Japan, 1989 United States, 1991 Kong Kong, 1995 China, 1996 Malaysia, 1997 Australia).
Companies taken over :
- SIMA (table ware and kitchen ware) added on 1984,
- JACQUEMIN (glassware) added in 1989 ,
- FLO FRANCE (disposable tableware), added in 1990,
- MATIK (distribution to institutionals), added in 2000.
2002 : merger between the MATFER Group and the BOURGEAT company (production of cooking utensils and equipment for handling and storage).
Today, the MATFER-BOURGEAT Group
- consolidated sales of 250 million USD
- manufactures and distributes over 15 000 products for food trade (bakeries, pastry shops, restaurants, institutionals)
- exports to over 100 countries.